I’ll be setting out several cameras on the winter solstice for six months, to make solargraphs until the summer solstice. I’ve made six new cameras for this. I would have liked to have made them out of metal or plastic. But I don’t have any experience or tools in working with either of those. So, I made them from 1/4″ plywood and covered them with three coats of exterior paint. I hope the paint and wood holds up.
Another concern I had was how to prevent water from dripping into the camera and onto the paper through the pinhole. I placed a thin square of acetate between the pinhole (in brass) and the inside of the camera hole that houses the pinhole and sealed this up with super glue all around. I left this out for a little over a week. It rained several of these days, including the first day. The acetate must have quickly fogged up and remained that way. Considering the camera was well sealed, this was not a surprise. The results were interesting, and I like this image. I have been experimenting with various ways of obscuring pinhole images, but I didn’t intend it for a six month exposure.
“You can’t have a light without a dark to stick it in.” – Arlo Guthrie