Part 8: end of exposure

skyWe were warned not to make any major decisions during this period of time of surgery and heavy drug alteration. But I had already racked up considerable experierience in my earlier life making major decisions during drug use, so we tried out a few things. We decided to move to the research triangle area of North Carolina for the duration of my cancer treatment. It would mean packing and selling our house, finding and buying a new home and moving to it. I would not be of any physical help and that presented a new challenge for me in moving. We also loved our Roanoke Island home. It was to have been our final home, our retirement home. So there were conflicts for me in the move. But I also knew it was the right thing at that time. Besides, I was on all kinds of drugs and wasn’t accountable for decisions.

So, we went for it. It seemed a nearly impossible task. But, as we continued to learn, we had such wonderful support from friends, neighbors, and the network of people we came in contact with. We found and bought a townhouse in Durham in about 3 days with the help and experience of a recommended realtor, Paul J. Stinson. I do not think we could have made the move to Durham without Paul. He was not only helpful in so many ways, he was fun to be with and made that part of things a real joy. We are not rich and could not really afford to own two homes, but Paul fixed us up with a mortgage broker who could work things out for us. We were set.

Road to Roanoke Island - pinhole dayOn April 29th, the occasion of the 7th Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day, we packed up our few things, including our growing collection home health products and headed for Roanoke Island to pack up. I took a 3 week vacation from work, the longest vacation I believe I have ever taken. I knew it was to be a working one, despite my fragile and vulnerable condition. We already had a mover lined up and had mapped out a plan for packing (thanks for those steriods!).

road to Roanoke IslandThe move was not easy, but I have never had an easy one. This one was simplified by renting a large trash trailer from the Pickup Man in Mann’s Harbor. What was not worth donating to the Hot Line Thrift Shop or giving away, was tossed in the trash trailer. I am embarrased to say that we filled up that trailer, mostly with stuff I had accumulated or made over the years. Stuff I realized had no real value and we didn’t really need. There is so much of that stuff and I was glad to rid myself of it. I have finally leaned to look at stuff in stores and think before buying anything “how long before this goes to the landfill?” Some things are unavoidable I guess, but so many more are avoidable and no longer get moved through the system by me. There’s a blessing.

I collected my pinhole solar print that had been cooking since the winter’s solstice. I still haven’t seen it, but hope to take a look soon and post a scan of it here.

In mid-May, we made the move to Durham and it all couldn’t have gone better. The next week I began the first steps of my nuclear medicince treatment. Danger loomed ahead, but Carmela and I were in the middle of unpacking and settling in and would soon find ourselves caught off-guard.